I had no idea it was coming, although I started picking up on some clues. Of course we had talked about it, and an idea even of when... but we hadn't looked at rings or anything. Zach is funny, he doesn't love surprises and teases me when I try and pull them off. So this whole things is pretty impressive. It was just a typical Saturday.. we usually hang out with his friends that day. We all went to the Bees Game in Salt Lake, and he asked me if it was ok if he took me to meet one of his mission friends I hadn't met yet afterwards. I of course said yes. So we left the game a bit early and headed down that way. He told me he lived down by the Oquirrh Mountain temple. We were just driving, chatting.. which was kind of different anyway, because he LOVES music in the car. Just as we were in front of the temple, we get pulled over. Oh great! The cop walks up to my side of the car and greets us, asks for Zach's license and registration, the usual. He goes to his car for a few minutes, and comes back to my side. He then tells me he is going to need me to get out of the car... I did, somewhat awkwardly.. not sure what was going on.
Cop: So, how well do you know this kid in the car?
Me: Um pretty well, we have been dating for 4 months
Cop: Has he been out of state recently?
Me: Well, he was out of the state in AZ for 2 years on a mission, and just got back in January....
Cop: Do you have a valid drivers license?
Me: Yes...
Cop: Well, you may have to drive home tonight. Zach has a warrant out for his arrest, I'm going to question him. You can have a seat in the car.
I had NO idea what to think. I think I was just very submissive and following orders promptly. I got back in the car, and wouldn't even look at Zach. He gets out of the car. I don't even know what I was doing, just sitting there thinking, or not thinking... I'm not even sure. The next thing I know is.. he is standing on the sidewalk with his hands behind his head, getting padded down. I watched for a minute, and the cop proceeds to arrest him! You can probably imagine I'm freaking out, just a bit inside. He sits Zach down on the sidewalk (and he looked really pitiful might I add) and comes back over to me.
Cop: I'm not sure what to do, the car is in his dad's name, I may have to call him..
Me: Ok..
Cop: Are you comfortable driving his car back to his house?
Me: Yes..
Cop: I'm not sure what he is into or what he is telling you, but you don't just get a warrant from another state for no reason.
Me: I can assure you he's not into anything..
Cop: Well that's a conversation the 2 of you can have later.. Zach is going to have to come with me tonight.
He asked me to get back out of the car, now I can't even remember why. My eyes were watering a bit, I was getting a little nervous. I even said a prayer in my head while I was sitting there! He told me to stand in front of Zach, and walked behind him to unlock the handcuffs and told him they didn't want him, he found out more about the case, so he said... He looked at me and told me that I had a summons out for theft. I was like... What the?? He asked me if I knew anything about that... Zach said I answered with attitude, which doesn't surprise me :) I said..."No.."
Not even sure what he said after that... all I remember is Zach getting down on one knee and saying.."Babe you stole this!" And was holding out my ring!! There were quite a few different emotions going on, relief, excitement, embarrassment, happiness, etc. After what seemed like forever, he said "Are you going to take it?" I was like.."You're supposed to put it on me!" So he did :) So... turns out, this whole thing was staged for a couple weeks. The cop was one of his young mens leaders and a good friend. I have no idea how he pulled it off so well, but it was perfect. Just his style and I loved it. He even designed the ring himself! I know, he's great. I didn't even say yes until we got back in the car, not even realizing it! I am so happy and I love our story. I have had a feeling about him since our first date, and knew I would marry him. People always say things like that and I never believed them, but I do now!
We are getting married in the Oquirrh Mountain Temple (of course..) on Saturday, November 19th! I couldn't be happier!
1 comment:
That's hilarious! Oh how we looove being pulled over by cops! Ahhh! I'm proud of how calm you were. You'll never take a cop serious again. I'm excited for you two and am hoping it all works out so I can one up for your wedding :) What a happy day! Soooo excited for you two! But really, you'll need to answer on the spot over the altar, so practice saying yes. None of this 20 minutes later business...!
Post a Comment